The Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Surgery is known worldwide for its groundbreaking surgical interventions, superlative training programs and leadership in quality and safety initiatives. We strive to provide patients with extraordinary care, ensuring they benefit from the latest advances in surgical technology, techniques and research findings.
- Each year, our department performs more than 20,000 surgeries across 12 surgical divisions — a high volume of procedures that allows our surgeons to continually hone their skills and produce better patient outcomes.
- Our faculty are steadfast in their commitment to patient-centered research that leads to advances in scientific knowledge and translational solutions for clinical application.
- We’re strongly committed to teaching the next generation of academic surgeons and recruiting diverse classes of top-ranked surgery residents and fellows.
The expertise of our surgical faculty and our extraordinarily skilled multidisciplinary teams uniquely positions the Department of Surgery to develop innovations that fulfill patient needs, locally and globally.
Imagine a future where …
- We offer surgical patients the highest-quality care supported by ongoing evaluation, research and continuous improvement of the patient experience.
- An environment that encourages new ideas and champions collaboration allows us to recruit and retain the best, brightest and most diverse group of clinicians in our field.
- We lead the nation in excellence of surgical training for residents, fellows and faculty.
- By introducing innovative surgical techniques, we reduce recovery time and improve health outcomes for patients regionally and around the world.
With your support, we’ll bring this future to life and make the next leap forward in many exciting areas of surgical care, translational research and surgical education.
Program Builds Stamina Before Cancer Surgery
A concept known as “prehabilitation” is boosting fitness and overall health for patients preparing for cancer surgery and other demanding treatments.
We’re investing in …
We strive to provide patients with extraordinary surgical care, ensuring they benefit from the latest advances in technology and treatments. Your investment in our people and programs can make our vision a reality. Please join us.