The Department of Emergency Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital is home to the largest and most comprehensive emergency service in the region. Our team includes more than 60 academic faculty members, 70 advanced practice members and more than 300 nurses.
- As a level I trauma center for adults and children, we provide full-service, state-of-the-art emergency care for patients of all ages.
- Our programs and initiatives within the Division of Critical Care and the Center for Disaster Medicine have set the standards for disaster responses across the country and the globe.
- Our specialized trainees and clinical researchers have gone on to lead emergency departments and programs across the country.
- Our outspoken advocacy for health care equity is creating a much-needed roadmap for many other health care providers at our peer institutions.
Our leadership role in local emergencies such as the Boston Marathon bombing, as well as the COVID-19 pandemic and the inequities in access to health care it exposed, have enhanced our expertise in treating the region’s sickest patients and the urgent need to continue preparing for future crises.
Imagine a future where …
- The continuing presence of expert dedicated pediatric emergency medicine specialists reduces stress for children and families in need of emergency care.
- As an innovative center of excellence, we reinforce our commitment to consistently delivering compassionate, expert care in the emergency room to our growing population of older adults.
- Patients around the world continue to benefit from the emergency medicine strategies and procedures developed and implemented at Mass General.
As the entry point for many patients, our emergency department is uniquely positioned to respond quickly to crises. Support for our efforts will reduce the human toll of disasters and improve health outcomes for all.
We’re investing in …
We're committed to developing and implementing emergency medicine strategies and procedures that benefit patients in our hospital and around the world. Please join us.