The Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Dermatology hosts more than 90,000 visits per year and is trusted by patients and referring physicians throughout New England.
- Since the 19th century, Mass General has provided leading-edge, evidence-based care for patients with common and rare diseases of the skin, hair and nails.
- We serve thousands of patients through dermatology clinics and community programs. One example is the Boston Health Care for the Homeless Program (BHCHP), through which we provide the highest-quality dermatologic care for adults and children experiencing homelessness in greater Boston.
- We have long been an international leader in groundbreaking research for the full spectrum of skin diseases.
- Our experts are also focused on using the skin as a lens through which a wide range of diseases can be detected earlier.
- Our dermatology residency is regarded as one of the most competitive training programs in the world.
Our renowned, collaborative team of dermatologists is striving to further our understanding of skin, hair and nail conditions and to transform care for the growing number of patients globally who are diagnosed with these diseases.
Imagine a future where...
- Our deeper understanding of dermatologic disease improves outcomes for people with skin cancers, while advanced imaging techniques result in more precise surgical treatment.
- Basic and clinical research identify root causes and new strategies for treating acne, itch, hair loss and other dermatologic issues that affect quality of life.
- Our expertise in stem cell biology leads to breakthroughs related to the aging process and to the development of new technologies that can turn back time.
- We provide better access to dermatologic care for people living in resource-limited settings in greater Boston and around the world.
With faculty and staff who bring unparalleled expertise in dermatologic research and care, Mass General is well-positioned to bring this future to life.
Understanding Alopecia Areata: More than “Just Hair Loss”
Patients living with alopecia areata often find that hair loss affects more than the way they look. It often happens without warning — leaving patients shocked and distraught. Mass General is in the process of creating a new Hair Loss Center of Excellence, providing services to help patients with all types of hair loss.
We’re investing in …
With philanthropic support, dermatology patients around the world will benefit from advances in patient care, research and education. Together, we can transform the future of health care.