Over the past several decades, Massachusetts General Hospital has undertaken a range of pioneering efforts to foster diversity, equity and inclusion:
- Center for Diversity and Inclusion: One of the first academic hospital-based centers in the country dedicated to workforce diversity (established in 1992).
- Disparities Solutions Center: Develops and disseminates models to identify and address racial and ethnic disparities in health care (2005).
- Mass General Equity and Community Health COVID Response Team: A system-wide effort to ensure patients, providers and employees are treated equitably and have access to necessary prevention and treatment resources during the COVID-19 pandemic (2020).
- MGH Structural Equity 10-Point Plan: A comprehensive plan developed to address structural racism within and outside the hospital walls (2020).
Mass General has the experience, passion and resources to realize our ultimate vision: to have diverse talent across the hospital working in a supportive environment and trained to deliver culturally competent, high-quality care, while engaging in research in partnership with diverse patients and communities within Mass General and far beyond.
"Diversity is the richness of human differences. Inclusion is when everyone feels connected, valued and engaged. We believe that because of diversity we excel; through inclusion we respect; focused on equity we serve, heal, educate and innovate."
Imagine a future where ...
- Inequities in health based on race, ethnicity and income are eliminated.
- All discriminatory and racist behaviors are reported and reconciled in a culturally competent manner.
- More young people from backgrounds traditionally underrepresented in medicine and science enter the field and go on to become faculty leaders and senior administrators.
- In all areas, our workforce more closely reflects the diversity of our communities.
- Physicians and scientists conduct research in partnership with diverse patients and communities.
Drawing on our rich history and determination to take bold, meaningful action, Mass General will rise to the challenge to help create a more equitable and safer world for all.
A Circle of Support for Patients with Sickle Cell Disease
Mass General’s new Comprehensive Sickle Cell Disease Treatment Center offers a groundbreaking, collaborative approach to care for this debilitating and painful disease which disproportionately impacts Black and African American patients.
We’re investing in …
Training, research and clinical programs to ensure we achieve our ultimate goal of equity for all our employees, patients and community members.
We must continue to make further unprecedented investments in our training, research and programs to ensure we achieve our ultimate goal of equity for all of our employees and patients. With your support, we'll capitalize on the opportunity to transform our hospital and the health of our communities.