Tax Free IRA Charitable Distribution
Did you miss out last year? This year, use your Individual Retirement Account (IRA) to make a difference at Mass General. It’s easy and might save you taxes.
If you’re at least 70½ years old, now you can make a gift from your IRA directly to Mass General and, for federal tax purposes, exclude those funds from your gross income. Simply instruct your IRA administrator to directly transfer a gift of up to $100,000. It will count towards your required minimum distribution this year and make a real difference at Mass General.
How do you qualify?
- You must be 70½ years old or older at the time of the gift
- Your gift must go directly from your IRA to a qualified charity
Download sample instructions
- Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per taxpayer
- Gifts must be made by Dec. 31, 2019 to take advantage this tax year
How do you make a gift with your IRA?
- Contact the institution holding your IRA and inform them that you want to make a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA to Mass General
- Complete the necessary paperwork to request the charitable distribution
- Notify Mass General and let us know how you want your gift to be used
Contact the Planned Giving Team About a Tax Free IRA Distribution
Contact us today using the form on this page, or call Jessica Brodie in the Office of Planned Giving at 617.643.2220. Working together, we can be sure that your gift reflects your vision to make a lasting difference at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Your giving makes great medicine possible. Thank you.